Intern AdventuresFebruary 12, 2017
So what does an integrated marketing intern at a digital agency do? Short answer- a lot of things! Long answer- tons of tasks including writing web copy, creating social media posts, learning about Google Adwords campaigns, brainstorming ideas for company-wide newsletters, organizing creative briefs, and so much more. On top of that, I also learned the best workplaces have Nerf gun wars and random glitter bomb explosions when creativity is running low and energy needs to be amped up.
I've written tons of blogs in the past about topics that I'm familiar with, but I've never been forced to write content for businesses or products that I know absolutely nothing about. Creating original web content for local companies was one of my favorite challenges as an intern. After writing tons of copy for different places, I feel like I know a little bit about almost every kind of business now varying from plastic surgery procedures to air conditioning installations! I loved that my boss tossed projects my way that were secretly intimidating to me because it gave me the confidence to figure out new skills without having someone there to hold my hand every step of the way.
|First day as a production assistant|
|All smiles after waking up at 3:30am to interview runners!|
|PA today, director tomorrow. Hah!|
1) Don't stand in the doorway on set, ever. Everyone will know you're the production assistant.
2) Craft service is the greatest. Free food + endless supply of snacks = a very happy crew!
3) Comfortable shoes are key. You will be standing all day and cute flats aren't so cute at the end of the day when your toes are swollen.
4) If you don't carry a Sharpie on you at all times, you will get scolded. Having a roll of tape on you isn't a bad idea either.
5) Sleep is for the weak. Get accustomed to 5:00am call times.
All in all, I have to say that interning has been one of the greatest and most rewarding experiences of my life. I never expected to learn so many skills and meet so many incredibly talented people in such a short amount of time. To Roxie, Greg, Chris, Gary, Priya, Kristen, Quincy, Brian, Tamara, and Jimmy- you guys are the best. The last month wouldn't have been nearly as amazing without you guys. I hope this Star Wars fangirl brightened your corner of the office just a little bit during my time there!
|My "Jedi Masters" Greg and Chris|