Yellow Floral Wrap Top

We're on Day 20 of self-quarantine or isolation or whatever it's called. It's a bizarre world we're all living in right now, but I'm trying to make the most of it! Shaun went out on a supply run yesterday to stock up on some household items we needed and he grabbed some mustard colored fabric I've been eyeing for a few weeks.

As soon as he brought it home, I threw it in the washer and started to think about what I wanted to make. Since I only had two yards, I knew a dress would be out of the question. I decided to pick up my handy McCall's M7627 pattern (recently used it for a dress) and took a shot at modifying the "A" style top on that pattern.


I've never modified a pattern before in any capacity, so I had no clue what I was doing. I decided to lengthen the bottom of the pattern about six inches to eliminate the need for a ruffley bottom which would require about one more yard of fabric. I also took off the sleeve flounces and created small ties for the waist rather than the wide ties in the pattern. Everything went really well while I was sewing until I got to the very end.

All I needed to finish up was the sleeve hem and bottom of the shirt hem. When I tried it on, I realized the neckline was way too wide and something just wasn't sitting correctly. I decided to take off the sleeves, deconstruct the seamline across the shoulder and take out a couple inches from the shoulder. Then I could reattach the sleeves and finish up the project. I also added a little snap in the neckline to keep the shirt securely closed.

Despite that little hiccup, I really love how it turned out! The color is beautiful and the print is really fun. I can't wait to wear it to the tulip festival later in the season.


Comments